Friday, June 12, 2009

My Good Side?

I once heard Katie Couric (yes the one we never really liked until the infamous interview with Sarah Palin) lament that she never photographed well. Then she noted how Jessica Simpson always looked stunning - yes, the word was “stunning” - and realized Jessica always looked stunning because Ms. Simpson was always posing. Hence, Katie Couric became a poser, and a respectably attractive one.

Yesterday was my good friend Sarah’s birthday (Not the aforementioned Mrs. Palin). Besides the guarantee of a lemon mouse cake masterpiece by Mark from Fol Epi, we were going to Stage for dinner, a sure bet for a stellar evening. Some would even call it stunning.

I arrived at Sarah’s with a bottle of Bollinger for a pre-dinner drink. We preened, gossiped and sipped. To record our merriment we headed to the garden with the camera.

“What are you doing, India?”

“You’re making that face.”

“Hopeless!”

My good friend Sarah is the first friend to admit, as I have proclaimed for years, that I am horribly un-photogenic. Sarah says I am one of those otherwise attractive people who spasms at the instant of a flash. I say I'm one of those people who morph into the Hunchback of Notre Dame, ogle-eyed and disheveled. I give up and focus the flash on Sarah, who radiates joy. Excitement and a devilish smirk flash across her eyes when she tells me her friend Michael suffers the same spastic condition. There’s a story. He’ll tell it best over dinner.

With the stage set and costumes on, we headed out to Stage. It has fast become a staple in our restaurant route. When we arrived, Jody and Michael are already sipping a BC Ehrenfelser. Jody swears she could swim in it. More champagne, we croon! Jody and I decide the Valdo Prosecco will best kick the night off. And it does. Rapacious bubbles assault our noses when sipping from the Reidel stemware.

Sarah opens her presents. Jody has put together the most thoughtful gift, giving Sarah a card series of listing special events for the two of them to do this summer, including Oyster Fest (with over 150 wines!) and a visit to the bird sanctuary. Michael says, "don't cry," and Sarah touches her finger to her lashes and replies, "It's been a long time since I've cried tears of joy, I forgot how." We smile. We laugh. We're touched. Michael says, "Crying is for chumps.” We all laugh until the tears are rolling.

Once Sarah manages to put two words together she turns to Michael. “Tell India your Montreal story about the photographer.” Michael is now forced to recall a very embarrassing incident that happened on his recent trip to Mutek. A professional photographer noticed Michael's special knack for looking ridiculous and spent an entire night trying to get one good photo - to no avail.

From there the contest was off. Through the series of small plates including: mussels in coconut milk and cilantro, asparagus spears with duck egg and pancetta, and pork belly over beans, those around the table took turns attempting to get a decent shot of either Michael or myself - also, to no avail.

In a last ditch effort we passed the camera and posed, Zoolander style, with Blue Steel. Michael refused point blank, and once again Sarah managed pure illumination. It turns out I photograph best while eating. So I took to desert like Jessica to the spotlight. I may have still looked awkward but the dessert was stunning 

No comments:

Post a Comment